The British Council is seeking expressions of interest from experienced UK organisations or individuals to work in partnership with us to develop a translation workshop for Arabic < > English translators.
The duration of the workshop will be 4-5 days and will take place in the United Arab Emirates in January or February 2020. We are looking to work collaboratively with a UK partner as well as a local partner (yet to be confirmed) to assess the context locally as well as in the UK and then develop and deliver a programme. The development phase will address:
• Focus (poetry or prose etc)
• Target audience (early, mid or advanced translators)
• Programme structure (balance between translation and professional development)
• Participant recruitment process
• Workshop leader appointment process
Our higher-level objectives for the workshop are:
• Building stronger networks between translators in order to benefit their career development, career opportunities and access to international markets
• Building stronger networks between translators and publishers to facilitate more and higher-quality translations to/from Arabic-English
• Offering advice and ongoing professional development to translators at all stages in their career
• Exploring the links between creative writing and literary translation, providing a supportive venue for translators and writers to come together and collaborate
• Developing partnerships between organisations specialising in literary translation in the UK and the Gulf region
Please send a short statement outlining:
• Your experience delivering translation workshops/training
• Your experience working in the Gulf region and/or with the Arabic language
• An estimate of your administrative costs for partnering with us on this workshop (all programme delivery costs and travel will be covered in the programme budget).
Statements should be sent to Harriet.Williams@britishcouncil.org by Monday 16 September 2019 at 23.59 GMT.