The British Council in the UK and Southern Africa is looking for expressions of interest from UK poetry and literature organisations to design and run a short networking visit by four poets from Zimbabwe, Zambia, Botswana and Mozambique to the UK in early 2019.
The aims of the UK programme are:
- To showcase contemporary African poetry to new UK audiences by giving Southern African poets the chance to read/perform at a UK poetry night or event
- To facilitate connections between contemporary African and UK poetry sectors by connecting the Southern African poets to UK poets, poetry organisations, collectives or other literature professionals while in the UK
- To enable Southern Africa and UK poets to share skills and learn from one another through networking opportunities while visiting in the UK
The British Council will provide a grant of £9,600 as a contribution to the costs of the trip (flights, accommodation, local travel) and the costs of managing the visit by the successful organisation.
The visit should take place before 31 March 2019. British Council offices in Zimbabwe, Zambia, Botswana and Mozambique will be able to advise on visas and travel.
The successful partner will be responsible for drawing up a communications plan and to develop some visual assets for the trip in relation to activities to be undertaken.
How to apply
We are seeking proposals from UK poetry organisations, collectives and other literature venues and organisations, for a short (4-5 day) programme of activity, outlining:
1. Your proposed programme of activity
2. How your proposed programme meets the aims of the project (above)
3. How you would use communications channels (e.g. websites, social media) to promote and document the visit
4. What experience do you have in working with international writers?
5. How this opportunity to host four writers from Southern Africa would contribute to your organisation and its work
A 600-800 word statement would be sufficient, but longer is fine if you prefer. Applications should be submitted to Matt Beavers (email@example.com) by 12.00 on 29 November 2018.