Add to researchFrank Cottrell Boyce
- Drama, Children
Frank Cottrell Boyce was born in Liverpool and studied English at Oxford University.
He first worked as a television critic for Living Marxism magazine, and wrote episodes for Coronation Street and Brookside. He then collaborated with director Michael Winterbottom on the film Forget About Me, in 1990, and this was followed by further screenplays written for the same director: Butterfly Kiss in 1995; Welcome to Sarajevo in 1997; The Claim in 2000, originally based on Hardy's The Mayor of Casterbridge; 24 Hour Party People in 2002; Code 46 in 2003; and A Cock and Bull Story in 2005.
He also worked with other directors, including writing the screenplays for the films Revenger's Tragedy, in 2002, an adaptation of Thomas Middleton's 17th-century play; Hilary and Jackie; Millions; and Grow Your Own in 2007.
In 2004, he wrote a book for children based on his own screenplay - Millions - and this book won the 2004 Carnegie Medal. It was published as a play in 2010. His second children's novel, Framed, was shortlisted for both the 2005 Carnegie Medal and the Whitbread Children's Book of the Year Award.
Frank Cottrell Boyce has won several awards for his screenplays, and lives in Liverpool with his family. His third novel, Cosmic, was published in 2008, and was shortlisted for the Guardian Children's Fiction Prize and the Roald Dahl Funny Prize in the same year. His latest books are Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Flies Again (2011) and The Unforgotten Coat (2011), shortlisted for the Costa Children's Book Award.
- Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Over the Moon , Macmillan Children's Books
- Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and the Race Against Time , Macmillan Children's Books
- The Unforgotten Coat, illustrated by Carl Hunter, The Reader/Walker Books
- Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Flies Again, illustrated by Joe Berger, Macmillan Children's Books
- Millions: The Play, Heinemann
- When It Changed: Science into Fiction: an Anthology, contributor, Comma Press
- Desirable, Barrington Stoke
- Cosmic, Macmillan Children's Books
- Framed, Macmillan Children's Books
- Millions, Macmillan Children's Books
- The Claim, play, ScreenPress Books
- Guardian Children's Fiction Prize, The Unforgotten Coat
- Costa Children's Book Award, The Unforgotten Coat, shortlist
- Blue Peter Book Award: The Book I Couldn't Put Down, Cosmic, shortlist
- Carnegie Medal, Cosmic, shortlist
- Roald Dahl Funny Prize, Cosmic, 7-14 years category - shortlist
- Guardian Children's Fiction Prize, Cosmic, shortlist
- Chlotrudis Award, A Cock and Bull Story, Best Adapted Screenplay
- Blue Peter Book Award: The Book I Couldn't Put Down, Framed, shortlist
- Whitbread Children's Book of the Year, Framed, shortlist
- Humanitas Prize, Millions, Feature Film - nomination
- Carnegie Medal, Framed, shortlist
- British Independent Film Award, Millions, Best Screenplay
- Sitges - Catalonian International Film Festival, Code 46, Best Screenplay
- Carnegie Medal, Millions
- British Independent Film Award, The Claim, nomination
- Golden Satellite Award, Hilary and Jackie, Best Motion Picture Screenplay Adaptation - nomination
- BAFTA, Hilary and Jackie, Best Adapted Screenplay - nomination